Little Rock Moving Blog - Tips, Tricks, and Insider Info
January 14, 2019

Getting Your Documents Together for a Move to Little Rock

By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group 

Documents for MovingMoving either locally or nationwide demands a large amount of coordination along with organization, and quite a few people neglect to locate the proper documents in advance. The following is a short resource guideline for many of the important files that you'll need regardless of whether moving local or planning for a long-distance move to Little Rock.

Truth be told, it isn't as if you need to have a passport and a work visa to transfer across the state line, however once you have gathered all your life records together to go over the border those are close to the only things you won't need. And the way our minds work, you would anticipate to need all this certification for a cross-country move, however if your move is geographically close by--from Memphis only across the river into a Mississippi or Arkansas suburb, for example, it could come as a shock that you'll require all of the records.

Here are papers you'll probably have to keep on hand whenever moving, and approaches to acquire them when they have expired or you could have misplaced the originals.

Driver's License

Regardless that driver's licenses will not be acceptable for federal recognition a lot longer, you still have to have a active one--you should have it in any case, but if it expired a few weeks or a few months before and you figured since you are moving why make an effort, go make the effort. When you have to sign in at the airport, rent an automobile, open a bank account, or execute life generally, you must have an up-to-date driver's license to do so. If you are in a state where you can't obtain a license through the local Tag Agency same day, inquire about a paper version of your new driver's license to use ahead of the printed version showing up in the mail; this can be suitable ID for about three weeks.


Should you be moving for a new job, the probability is decent that you will have to document US citizenship before you get started. It is possible to renew it by mail should you satisfy specific guidelines--your name has not changed, your previous one has been issued not more than 15 years previously, that you were at least sixteen at that time, amongst others--but otherwise, you'll have to make application for a new one in person. It is possible to request an expedited passport if required however be ready to spend an additional $60 or so.

Birth Certificate(s)

You'll need a copy for all in your family for your move to Little Rock. If you can't put your hands on your original copies and you reside in the county or parish in which they were all issued, a simple stop by at the county offices will take care of it. If you had been born anywhere else, obtain the duplicate through that area. Every place is different, so try an internet lookup pertaining to the county records the place you were born to determine the specific details to get a certified copy of your birth record. There is generally a minimal charge involved.

Marriage License

If you need a copy, follow the same technique you would for the birth certificate. A household Bible or even certificate from the church is not a sufficient legal document.

Social Security Card(s)

Each person in your family will need to have a social security number and a card; if you cannot place your hands on them you will want to acquire replacements at the earliest opportunity. You can start the task online, and mail in the supporting files, or alternatively you could visit the closest Social Security Administration office with the paperwork. Copies--even notarized ones--will not be acceptable. You'll need picture ID as well as proof of citizenship, consequently bring a current driver's license or passport, school, employee, or armed forces ID card, or a medical health insurance card.

Auto Registration

You'll need to register your cars in your new town and state, so bring your existing registration cards and verification of insurance to the local motor vehicles office as quickly as possible after your move to Little Rock. Within a new state you'll receive a whole new license plate and tag; if the move was intrastate your license plate and tag are fine, however your insurance costs may change.

Health and Immunization Reports

If you have youngsters, their new schools will need verification of immunization in advance of enrollment. Having duplicates of all the household medical files can help when you have initial appointments with new physicians.

Get all your records together as soon as you can before your move to Little Rock and keep them together. Given that you'll need original copies of the majority of things, simply put everything within a file folder and keep it in hand or in a safe location throughout the actual move--this is one thing you don't want to misplace.

When you're wanting to move to Little Rock, let A-1 Freeman Moving Group help. Speak to us right now to schedule your cost-free in-home estimate.


Request a free quote

The Mickelson Family
The Mickelson Family
Best. Move. Ever!
Very pleased with the overall respect and care the men gave to my possessions. Even mailing me very quickly the only thing lost in transit. Would recommend to anyone needing a long distance move.
Read more

Almost there...

Tell us a little more about yourself!
(Contact information is required to submit form.)