If you’re relocating, you no doubt have a lot of concerns—and a lot of expenses. The last thing you should have to worry about are surprises when it comes to your moving estimate. That’s why you need the help of an experienced and creditable moving company who will help you to discoverways to cut down your moving expenses, and who will provide you an detailed estimate of what those expenses will be.
How to Find the Best Company for Your Move in Little Rock
For starters, you need to know not every moving company is created equal. Some are seasoned, professional and trustworthy—others are not. According to Consumer Reports, for example:
“Some moving companies quote lowball prices and then, once the move is underway, hold their customers' property hostage until they pay much more. Others demand substantial deposits and then don't show up, says Katherine Hutt, a spokeswoman for the Better Business Bureau.”
The good news is that you can find the best company to assist you move by simply doing some research. You can, for example, verify their credentials (including their carrier number from the Department of Transportation) and search online reviews and complaints.
You should also visit their website—the best movers are often recipients of recognized awards—like the Pinnacle Mover Designation Award and the North American Quality Award—and will often times post these awards on their website.
How to Interpret the Factors of Your Moving Costs in Little Rock
Many elements affect the cost of your move. For instance, what you pay will be based in part on things such as the total weight of your belongings and the mileage to your new residence. There are several other aspects, however, which will affect the cost of your moving estimate, including the following 6:
- Packing and crating costs: Keep in mind, you’re paying your moving company for their time. Obviously, they will need more time if you ask them to pack your belongings. You can save money by packing some or all of your belongings yourself. You can slash costs some more by disassembling large pieces of furniture instead of having the mover do it for you. Finally, you’ll pay more for certain kinds of packing and handling. For example, if fragile items like artwork or a grandfather clock require crating, your cost will be greater.
- Poor access to your pick-up or drop-off location in Little Rock: If your current or future residence is in an area which hampers access for a tractor trailer truck (for instance, due to a narrow road or a weak bridge), your movers must find secondary means to get belongings from your old home or to your new one. For instance, they might need to use smaller trucks to gain access. In this event, you’ll need to pay the mover a shuttle fee.
- Stairs or long walking distances: The cost of your move will also be more if there are very long stairs (or multiple stairs) which they need to carry your belongings up or down. You could also have to pay a long-carry fee if the area from the moving truck to the entrance of your residence is greater than 50 feet.
- Narrow doors or hallways: If some of your items don’t fit through the door or down narrow hallways, a rigger may be required to hoist them through a window. In this case, you could be assessed a hoisting fee.
- Storage fees: This is one of the most common reasons for increased costs. If you must store some or all your possessions at the carrier’s warehouse because your new place to live is not ready to be occupied, you’ll be required to pay an additional storage fee.
- Time of year: Summer is the busiest moving time of the year, which means that moving in the summer will cost more. You can save money if it’s possible to plan your move from September to May. You will also pay more if you move on a national holiday or on the first or last day of the month (this is because rental agreements typically expire at these times, which means more people move then).
Moving companies don’t get a reputation for honesty, reliability and trustworthiness by chance—they earn it by helping their clients, giving them guidance and working everyday to win their trust. The most critical thing you can do to obtain a safe move and lower your costs is to seek out the kind of moving company which cares about you and your family and will work tirelessly to ensure your complete satisfaction.
To understand more about our residential, office and corporate relocation services, contact us today.