A Comprehensive Guide to Moving
By Julie DeLong, Oil Capitol Relocation
1. Visit your new community. Prior to opting to move anywhere, it’s often a good notion to go to your new area. Sure, you might hit all the attractions, but don’t just visit as a vacationer. Drive through local neighborhoods. Notice where super markets, gas stations and schools happen to be. Think about your everyday life and how it could shift to this new place.
2. Investigate schools. When you happen to be touring your new city, figure out the schools which your kids will be studying at. Take a look at the bordering subdivisions and also carry out some investigating online to see how the public schools rank as well as what private school choices are available in the vicinity.
3. Make a moving budget. Let’s be honest, moving isn’t low-cost. Even DIY options possess a significant cost. And for anyone who is moving an extended distance, a professional mover in Little Rock will surely make the task less hectic. Don’t forget to incorporate some additional for unexpected expenditures, as they often find a way to occur. In case you are moving for a job, talk with your workplace to determine if any of your moving expenses will be covered.
4. Find a place to reside. If you have children and have researched what school you would like them to attend, the choices of a neighborhood in which to live have likely been narrowed down some. Nevertheless, regardless, a realtor will guide you through the house hunting process. A competent real estate agent will show you homes in your choice area and be able to answer all of your concerns about the subdivisions.
5. Investigate moving companies. Recruiting a reputable professional mover in Little Rock is essential for your move. Perform your research by reviewing Google reviews as well as the BBB rankings. Speak to other individuals who have moved not too long ago to discover what moving company they utilized. Obtain several quotations from various movers to examine. Ask questions in case you don’t fully understand anything on the quote and make certain you're comparing apples-to-apples. Keep in mind, if a quote seems too good to be true, this can be a red flag.
6. Choose a moving date. In the event that you are planning to move in the middle of the summer, you should get with your moving company in Little Rock to confirm your selected dates as far in advance as possible. Summertime is considered peak season for moving, so days fill up swiftly. On the other hand, should you be planning to move in the winter or early spring, you will likely have your choice of dates and may even find yourself expending a little less. You will regularly pay a premium for moving throughout peak season.
7. Get started gathering your moving supplies. By simply gathering cartons now, you can be a small step ahead when it comes time to pack. You can purchase boxes from your local moving company or from many big box stores. Don’t forget other moving products, for instance tape, bubble wrap, newsprint, box knife, etc.
8. Have a strategy for packing. In advance of when you actually carry out any packing, come up with your plan. It is advisable to go through your belongings beforehand and decide what you're going to take with you and what you don’t need any longer. Have a garage sale or donate to a charitable organization the items you don’t wish to move. After that, you can start packing non-essential things such as basement and attic belongings as well as out-of-season items. Next, proceed to items that you won’t require for the following couple of weeks. Delay until the days leading up to moving day to pack things that you make use of regularly. Make certain and ask your moving company if there are things that they can’t haul inside the moving van, such as live plants, combustible items and perishable food. You will have to make alternate measures for these items.
9. Pack your suitcases, as well. In the event that you're going to be on the road for a couple of days and nights en route to your new residence, you will want clothes and toiletries for the journey. Make sure and set aside precisely what you'll need along the way in order that those items don’t accidently get packed up and loaded on the moving van.
10. Make travel arrangements. In case you are driving to your new home, plan your course and reserve your hotel accommodations ahead of time. Furthermore, should you be flying, decide on your airline and purchase your tickets. Keep in mind that you could have to stay in a hotel for a couple of days in your new location in the event your items won’t be delivered immediately.
11. Transfer memberships as well as files. If you've got a health club or golf club membership, take a look at relocating them to your new town. Also, request your child’s school to send their records to the new school and likewise for your health professionals and dentist.
12. Clean out your storage space. You might as well go ahead and sort through your storage unit, too, and get rid of anything that you don’t need. Above that, be sure and inform the managers of the unit that you will be moving your belongings out and contact them again when you have vacated the area.
13. Forward your mail. These days, it is simple to forward your postal mail to your new home address. Simply go on to the USPS webpage and submit the required information. This is really a very simple step, nevertheless it’s commonly disregarded, so we wanted to mention it.
14. Confirm your moving date with your mover. You will likely hear from your moving company in Little Rock a few days or even a week before your move date, but in case you haven’t, at this moment would be a great time to go ahead and reach out to them and make certain that your move dates still tie in with what they have on the calendar for you. Last minute schedule modifications are never fun for anyone, therefore it’s always to your advantage to make sure all the details to make sure everyone is on the same page.
15. Cut-off and set-up your utilities. The timing of this action is of the utmost importance since you don’t wish to be leaving your old house in the dark or moving into your new home devoid of heat or air conditioning. Make contact with your existing as well as future utility suppliers and find out what you have to do in order to guarantee a simple changeover.
16. Schedule a move-out cleaning. When you have got everything moved from your old house, you will likely be too exhausted to want to clean. There are cleaning services that specialize in empty properties therefore consider hiring the cleaning done.
17. Let other people know your new street address. This action could be carried out once you arrive at your new residence, as well. Nevertheless you'll want your family and friends to have your new home address. Take into consideration mailing out a change of address card or perhaps an e-mail to let everybody know that you have moved.
18. Trade contact information with your moving van driver. When everything has been packed up and the moving van is getting ready to head out, be sure and ask the driver for the ETA to your new home and for his mobile phone number. Additionally provide him your cell phone number. You want to have a way to stay in touch while everybody is on the move.
19. Set up a handyman. Be sure and locate an experienced handyman after you move to aid in projects such as switching out light fixtures, making simple maintenance tasks or hanging artwork on the walls.
20. Register to vote and obtain a new driver’s license. Updating your voter registration soon when you move is wise to enable you to vote in any impending elections. Your local library or post office can usually supply additional details of how to register. Furthermore, obtaining a new license is necessary once you have moved to a new state. Take a look at your local DMV internet site to make certain you have all of the necessary paperwork before you decide to wait in line, because requirements are different from one state to another.
Are you ready to move?
Oil Capitol Relocation in Little Rock would like to assist. Just contact us right now to get started with your free of charge in-home or video estimate.
Request a free quote