Getting Your Documents Together for a Move to Little Rock

By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group 

Documents for MovingMoving either locally or a fair distance requires a great deal of planning as well as organization, and a lot of people forget to round up the correct paperwork in advance. The following is a brief resource guide for the various important files that you will need regardless of whether moving local or planning for a long-distance move to Little Rock.

Truth be told, it's not as if you have to have a passport plus a work visa to relocate over the state line, however once you have gotten all of your life records together to go over the border those are about the only things you won't need. And the way our minds work, you might anticipate to need all this paperwork for a cross-country move, but if your move is geographically close by--from Memphis just beyond the river into a Mississippi or Arkansas suburb, for example, it could come as a jolt that you need all of the documents.

Below are files you will almost certainly need to keep nearby when moving, and the way to obtain them when they have expired or you could have lost the originals.

Driver's License

Despite the fact that driver's licenses won't be acceptable for federal identity a lot longer, you will still need a active one--you ought to have it at any rate, but if it expired a couple weeks or even months ago and you figured as you are moving why bother, go bother. If you must sign in at the airport, book a car, open up a bank account, or conduct life generally, you must have an up-to-date driver's license to do this. In case you are in a state where you are unable to get your driver's license via the neighborhood Tag Agency same day, request a paper copy of your new license to use ahead of the hard copy arriving in the mail; that is suitable ID for a period of a couple of weeks.


In case you are moving for a new position, odds are very good that you will have to prove US citizenship before you get started. It is possible to renew it by mail should you fulfill specified criteria--your name hasn't changed, your last one had been issued not more than 15 years previously, that you were a minimum of sixteen at the time, along with others--but if not, you should make application for a new one in person. It is possible to ask for an expedited passport if necessary but be ready to pay an additional $60 or so.

Birth Certificate(s)

You'll need a copy for everyone in your household for your move to Little Rock. If you can't put your hands on the originals and you reside in the county or parish whereby they happened to be issued, a fast visit to the county offices will handle it. If you had been born anywhere else, apply for the copy via that location. Every place is different, so take a crack at an internet investigation for the county records where you were born to obtain the precise directions to obtain a certified duplicate of your certificate of a birth. There is commonly a nominal cost involved.

Marriage License

Should you need a copy, follow the very same procedure you would for the birth certificate. A family Bible or certificate from your religious organization is not an acceptable legal document.

Social Security Card(s)

Each person in your family needs a social security number and a card; if you can't put your hands on the cards you're going to want to acquire replacements as quickly as possible. You can begin the task online, and also send in the supporting files, or alternatively you could go to the local Social Security Administration office with the files. Copies--even notarized ones--aren't acceptable. You will need photo identification as well as verification of citizenship, therefore bring an up-to-date driver's license and / or passport, school, employee, or armed forces ID card, or a medical health insurance card.

Auto Registration

You're going to need to register your motor vehicles in the new town and state, therefore bring your present registration cards and evidence of insurance coverage to the area DMV straight away after your move to Little Rock. Within a different state you will get a whole new license plate and tag; in case your move was within the same state your current license plate and tag are fine, but your insurance premiums may change.

Medical and Immunization Documents

If you've got young ones, their new schools will require evidence of immunization in advance of registration. Having replications of all household medical files will help when you've got initial consultations with new physicians.

Get all your records together as quickly as you can ahead of your move to Little Rock and keep them together. Since you will need original copies of most things, simply set all the things within a file folder and keep it with you or in a safe location during the actual move--this is one thing you don't want to lose.

Should you be wanting to move to Little Rock, let A-1 Freeman Moving Group help. Contact us right now to schedule your zero cost in-home estimate.


Request a free quote